Re: issue with mdadm and mirroring drives

18/01/2012 22:22, Joey L wrote:
> okay..thanks for the clarification.
> I think it was initrd - busybox.
>
> my debian version is:
> root@rider:~# lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID: Debian
> Release:        6.0.3
> Codename:       squeeze
>
>  uname -mrs
> Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 x86_64
>

> I fooled around with the bois and I was able to both drives to be seen
> and the good partition running and the drive is syncing.
> Not really sure why it was behaving this way - but thanks to plug and
> play - the running system seen the bad drive and i was able to sync
> it.
>
> Now, my question to you is:
> 1. what do I do next ?
> do i run the command - "grub-install --recheck --no-floppy /dev/sdc1"
> (sdc1 is my good drive)

If the system is booting normally now, it's not mandatory. But it
wouldn't hurt to make sure grub is installed on all drives in the array.

> 2. Do i do this command after a reboot or just after the sync is done ?

Doesn't matter, I would say let it sync first out of pity for that poor
drive ;-) .

> 3. I get this error regarding a Floppy Error  - I have no floppy
> drives - how can i remove this ?

Yes you can, remove the "--no-floppy" option, it's a precautionary
measure. I have the habit to add it when I don't know what the hardware
is, it prevents nasty grub mistakes when a floppy drive is present, and
doesn't hurt if there isn't any. Floppy is something of the past, I have
to get used to it.

> 4. Do i have to update any of the mdadm files ? or any additional grub
> files ? before or after I reboot ?

Doesn't hurt do refresh your /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf , compare it to the
output of:

mdadm --misc --detail --brief /dev/md?*

If you change mdadm.conf, rebuild your initrd:

update-initramfs -u -k all

Nothing to do for grub aside from making sure it's installed on all
drives in the array.

> before or after I reboot ?

It's always better to make sure everything is in order before rebooting,
after it is sometime too late...

> thanks for your help!
> mjh

You helped yourself on this one, happy you managed to get the system back.