Re: issue with mdadm and mirroring drives

18/01/2012 18:03, Joey L wrote:
> The issue I am having is that if I put into the system both drives,
> the system always chooses the faulty drive.
> I do not even get linux system - i get a weird text prompt - i think
> it is initrdfs - even if i change it in the bios.
>
> On installing grub - can you tell me what is the procedure for that
> after i get my drives to an okay state ?
>
> thanks
> mjh

To get the system to start on a degraded raid array you can try passing
the following option on the "linux" line of the grub menu:

md-mod.start_dirty_degraded=1

To edit the grub menu entry type the letter "e", then make the changes
by adding the option at the end of the line that starts with "linux".
To boot use "ctrl" + "x" (keys "control" and "x" et the same time).

Once you are in the system, issue (as root) the following commands
assuming that "md0" is the array, and "sdb1" the faulty drive partition:

mdadm /dev/md0 --fail /dev/sdb1

mdadm /dev/md0 --remove /dev/sdb1

mdadm /dev/md0 --zero-superblock /dev/sdb1

mdadm /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdb1

"fail" and "remove" can be issued in the same command, but you can also
use them as shown above for clarity's sake.

Regarding grub, just use the usual magic formula (as root):

grub-install --recheck --no-floppy /dev/sda

repeat for "/dev/sdb", or use "hd0" and "hd1" which is grub traditional
notation for first and second drives.