Re: sasl authentication failed

El 2012-01-16 a las 14:40 -0500, tony baldwin escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On Sat, January 14, 2012 4:55 pm, Camaleón wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 15:26:30 -0500, tony baldwin wrote:
> >
> >> On Sat, January 14, 2012 12:41 pm, Camaleón wrote:
> >
> > (...)

> >> I do have it working now, but the cert is still wrong.
> >
> > Okay, let's focus on that now.

> >> yes, the cert says it is from vulcan.linode.com, while I am certain I
> >> have my hostname set as vulcan.tonybaldwin.org
> >
> > Your hostname (whatever is set to) has no effect on the SSL cert file.
> > You have to ensure that you created the certificate with the correct data.
> >
> > To see how it looks like you can:
> >
> > ***
> > openssl x509 -in /path/to/cert_file -noout -text
> > ***
>
> When I do the above, I get
> openssl x509 -in smtpd.cert -noout -text
> Certificate:
>         Version: 3 (0x2)
>         Serial Number:
>             encrypted stuff
>         Signature Algorithm: sha1WithRSAEncryption
>         Issuer: C=US, ST=Connecticut, L=New Haven, O=Tony Baldwin, OU=web
> mail, CN=tonybaldwin.org/emailAddress=tony@tonybaldwin.org
>         Validity
>             Not Before: Jan 11 01:06:15 2012 GMT
>             Not After : Jan 10 01:06:15 2013 GMT
>         Subject: C=US, ST=Connecticut, L=New Haven, O=Tony Baldwin, OU=web
> mail, CN=tonybaldwin.org/emailAddress=tony@tonybaldwin.org
>         Subject Public Key Info:
>             Public Key Algorithm: rsaEncryption
>             RSA Public Key: (2048 bit)
>                 Modulus (2048 bit):
>                     encrypted stuff here...
>
>                 Exponent: 65537 (0x10001)
>         X509v3 extensions:
>             X509v3 Subject Key Identifier:
>                 encrypted stuff here
>             X509v3 Authority Key Identifier:
>                 keyid:encrypted stuff here
>                 DirName:/C=US/ST=Connecticut/L=New Haven/O=Tony
> Baldwin/OU=web
> mail/CN=tonybaldwin.org/emailAddress=tony@tonybaldwin.org
>                 serial:encrypted stuff
>
>             X509v3 Basic Constraints:
>                 CA:TRUE
>     Signature Algorithm: sha1WithRSAEncryption
>        encrypted stuff here...
>

> > The "CN=" field has to be "vulcan.tonybaldwin.org", if not I would redo
> > again that specific step:
>
> The CN= field shows only "tonybaldwin.org", but mutt tells me the cert is
> from vulcan.linode.com

Mmm, yes, the cert file seems to contain the right data.

> > http://library.linode.com/email/postfix/dovecot-mysql-debian-6-squeeze#sph_create-an-ssl-certificate-for-postfix
> >

> I did this probably a dozen times.

Okay :-)

> > Put special care when the openssl wizard asks for the "Common Name (eg,
> > YOUR name) []:", here you have to write "vulcan.tonybaldwin.org".
> >

> I swear I did this all dozen times.

Good X-)

> >> So, when I set up mutt at home, my laptop, etc., I see some error to
> >> the effect that the cert is from vulcan.linode.com, which disagrees
> >> with the host, vulcan.tonybaldwin.org.
> >> I just choose "(a) accept always", and it works, but it seems to me it
> >> would be better to have the cert correct.
> >
> > Sure, having the SSL cert file with the right data on it :-P
> >
> > However, unless you use a certificate coming from one of the authorized
> > companies you will still see a warning about its validity when connecting
> > from another computer.
>
> Maybe it doesn't matter, since I'm the only using mail on this server, and
> it's working for me as is, but I'd like to understand why the cert appears
> to have incorrect data, despite the parameters I passed to openssl.

I would run more tests, e.g.:

1/ Connect from another MUA (Thunderbird/Icedobe/Evolution/whatever)
and check if the error also appears from here.

2/ Run Mutt in debug mode (mutt -d 2), it will log to "~/.muttdebug0".
If you are sending the log file or upload to some place, remember to delete
any sensitive data which can contain.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón