Re: Idiots guide to setting up samba

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 23:32:19 +0000, Richard wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:01:57 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:

(...)

>> > this is from samba.log :-

(...)

>> (...)
>> > [2012/01/16 13:40:23.909262,  0] smbd/server.c:756(open_sockets_smbd)
>> >   open_sockets_smbd: No sockets available to bind to.
>> (...)
>> >

>> > Any ideas please ????
>>
>> Your samba service is crashing because of the above errors, I'd say
>> related to the network interface you have set. Check your smb.conf
>> variables:
>>
>> interfaces =
>> bind interfaces only =
>>

> Thanks,
> I've managed to get smbd up and running,

Ah good, but what did you finally have to do? What was broken?

> the application needs to be a server and not just a client, as one of
> the directories is used by another computer. Not my app ,my son's :(.

"sftp" also does a good job for sharing files over two hosts and is
easier and more secure than samba. But of course, you son's application
have to support it...

> What I'm not seeing is any broadcast on x.x.x.255, the firewall should
> be open in both directions on the samba ports.
>
> Play again in the morning.

What kind of firewall? The router's one usually does not block intranet
data flow but external → internal connections :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón