Re: squeeze kernel upgrade fixes r8169 network driver?

On 2012-01-16 20:27 +0100, Curt wrote:

>>> I don't have that file on my system.
>>
>> That's a bit unfortunate.  Did you deliberately turn off logging in
>> /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg ?
>
> Nope. I do have /var/dpkg.log, sorry.  Brain fart.
>
>> It's expected that they are the same since every dpkg invocation
>
> Then why the hell am I looking in there?
>
> Here's the question:  I am running a vanilla squeeze system and the
> kernel has just been upgraded for security reasons.  How can I find what
> kernel version I was using before the upgrade?

This will need both /var/log/kern.log* (the kernel prints its version at
startup, the same what you see in /proc/version) and /var/log/dpkg.log,
which contains the package version corresponding to the kernel.

> dpkg.log says :
>
> upgrade linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 2.6.32-39 2.6.32-39squeeze1
>
> So there has been no version upgrade, apparently, and therefore the mystery
> remains as to why the r8169 kernel driver works correctly now when it wasn't
> working correctly before.

I'm at my wits' end here, the changelog entry for 2.6.32-39squeeze1 does
not mention anything remotely related to this driver.

Sven