Re: squeeze kernel upgrade fixes r8169 network driver?

On 2012-01-16, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

>>> /var/log/dpkg.log would be the best place.
>>
>> I don't have that file on my system.
>
> That's a bit unfortunate.  Did you deliberately turn off logging in
> /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg ?

Nope. I do have /var/dpkg.log, sorry.  Brain fart.

> It's expected that they are the same since every dpkg invocation

Then why the hell am I looking in there?

Here's the question:  I am running a vanilla squeeze system and the
kernel has just been upgraded for security reasons.  How can I find what
kernel version I was using before the upgrade?

dpkg.log says :

upgrade linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 2.6.32-39 2.6.32-39squeeze1

So there has been no version upgrade, apparently, and therefore the mystery
remains as to why the r8169 kernel driver works correctly now when it wasn't
working correctly before.