squeeze kernel upgrade fixes r8169 network driver?

Got a kernel upgrade today from the security repository.  I had
previously installed the Realtek proprietary driver (r8168) for my
network card, because the kernel module in squeeze was very problematic
(frequent disconnections, diminished throughput, etc...)

(curty@einstein:~$ uname -a
Linux einstein 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Jan 9 20:49:59 UTC 2012 x86_64
GNU/Linux
curty@einstein:~$ lspci -v | grep -i ether
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06))

After the recommended reboot the network card is now using the kernel
module (r8169, though the r8168 was also loaded) and it seems to be
working fine.

Did they fix the r8169, or was it all a bad dream?

(I looked at the debian security advisory for the kernel upgrade, dated
15 January, but it says nothing about the matter).