Re: [SOLVED] SATA disk errors

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 12:47:32 +0000, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> On 31/12/11 16:59, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>> On 30/12/11 17:15, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> It seems to be localized in just one of the disks (the one connected
>>> to the third sata port). Hard to tell what's going wrong (software
>>> bug/error,
>>> hardware error?), but I would start by replacing the sata cables for
>>> both disks, just in case. I've found many weird issues with poorly
>>> designed/bad quality sata cables that come bundled within motherboard
>>> pack.
>>>
>> Thanks Cameleón, I'll give that a try when I next reboot the server.
>
> Well, the new cables finally arrived.
>
> It turns out that my CD drive was attached to ata3, helpfully labled as
> SATA4 on the motherboard.

Sata ports start from 0, so sata-0 is the first sata port, sata-1 is the
second one as so on...

> I had indeed fitted a sub-standard cable to that, with the attitude
> "it's only a CD". Mistake.
>
> I replaced that cable, and have not seen any errors for a number of
> days, so I'll declare that problem fixed.

Thanks for sharing your findings.

It also happened to me when I was running openSUSE, the sata cable of the
optical unit was not firmly connected to the motherboard port and gave me
the same messages. Resitting the cable removed the errors.

> Surprised, though, that the connection to the CD drive (which is hardly
> ever used) would cause such a rash of errors.

I also have had a very weird issue with the sata connection in another
machine (same brand and model that the above running openSUSE, but this
time with Windows XP). The system could not even booted (!) due to a bad
sata cable (also for the DVD unit). Replacing the cable solved the
problem. Go figure :-O

Greetings,

--
Camaleón