Re: Laptop fan doesn't stop

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 6:50 AM, Sthu Deus <sthu.deus@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good time of the day, again, amt.
>
> You worte:
>>>
>>> Yes. Look toward thiese utilities:
>>>
>>> cpufrequtils
>>> loadcpufreq
>>> fancontrol
>>
>>Hey Sthu Deus, thanks for the reply. I currently have installed on my
>>machine cpufrequtils, fancontrol and lm-sensors. As you saw or not
>>from my message I just started using Debian since yesterday. I googled
>>cpufrequtils and found out how to start and configure it. On the other
>>hand I can't seem to find a guide for fancontrol so I would appreciate
>>if you can tell me how to set it up in a way that doesn't kill my
>>laptop. I can imagine this sort of things can be dangerous if not done
>>right.
>
> You do not need any special configuring of the util.s You will install
> - at least this was my experience (dell/amd too).
>
> The only thing You may set - which governor to use, like:
>
> echo powersave > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>
> though default one (I think it is 'performance-on-demand' or like that)
> should take of it well.
>
> Your problem is missing util.s/modules. If You have the above packages
> installed, then check if You have the modules loaded:
>
> cpufreq_ondemand
> acpi_cpufreq
> powernow-k8
>
> You do check w/
>
> lsmod |grep -E 'cpufreq|powernow'
>
> command. In my experience, it was not, so I added it to
>
> /etc/modules
>
> and rebooted the machine.
>

> --

Output of  lsmod |grep -E 'cpufreq|powernow' is:

acpi_cpufreq            5571  1
cpufreq_powersave        902  0
cpufreq_conservative     5162  0
cpufreq_userspace       1992  0
cpufreq_stats           2740  0
processor              29935  3 acpi_cpufreq

Unfortunately I am very confused.

I have googled a lot but found nothing that can help me. I also read
the man pages but no luck. So, don't get me wrong. I am not lazy. If
someone can post a detailed guide  or write the steps I need to do I
would be very grateful. I don't want to fry my laptop so that's why I
am here asking for help.

It's been 12 hours of uptime@ laptop and the fan is working like I
would have a datacenter in my room.

Thanks to all that tried to help me so far.

Have a great day!
amt