Re: (Solved) Re: Wheezy: "module unix not found in modules.dep"

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 16:53:08 +0000, Brian wrote:

> On Sun 08 Jan 2012 at 12:47:59 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Mmm, I was not aware of that change. Wheezy still has "util-linux"
>> 2.19, and I boot directly into GNOME so I wouldn't even noticed the
>> change :-)
>
> Which will be the case with most users of a login manager. I read that
> some distributions suppress all boot messages so as not to frighten the
> children.

openSUSE, for example, has a very nice bootsplash screen enabled by
default but not Debian :-)

I prefer displaying a "Loading..." text with a nice background image on
some systems (which are exposed to the public) but I need to see verbose
messages on others (on servers and workstations).

>> But now you say, I will find that new feature very useful for my
>> servers, I always have to manually "clear" the screen for the "curious
>> eyes" and having the job automatically done will be great. Anyway, I
>> hope this is a user configurable setting...
>
> You'll have to hope those with "curious eyes" cannot speed read the
> scrolling display or are ignorant of CTRL+S. What specifically is it
> that they shouldn't see? And why?

The risk is low because servers are enclosed inside a secured room (with
video camera monitoring and control access area) but there are times when
non-tech people have to enter to run some tests, repairing the air
conditioning unit or cleaning the room. I prefer to keep a clear and
empty screen, you never know (I'm paranoid... too watched films, I
guess :-P)

What's the exposed data? Nothing relevant, just the running services and
maybe the IP of one of the racked servers.

> It's only configurable by root with the --noclear option to getty in
> /etc/inittab.

Fair enough.

Greetings,

--