[OT] Re: casablanca

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 17:59:32 +0000, steef wrote:

> hi all!
>
> maybe this question does not belong on this maybe it does: however... as
> a long time debian user i give it a try in the hope a kind soul can be
> of some help

I'm earning points for my parcel at heaven O:-)

> a friend of mine is a birdwatcher and makes movies of woodpeckers with
> youngs in their nest; a tedious job of weeks of observation etc. with
> three cameras in our sometime horrible dutch climate.
>
> he tried to put the images of these three cameras together with a piece
> of german hardware called casablanca running on opensource software
> (guess what!) called bogart. the hd-capacity of the hardware is 500 GB.
> type 2000S. software type unknown. he put the output-images (raw) an
> enormous quantity of a couple of terabytes on 4 external hd's. he could
> not open any of the images (collected in projects) anymore so he came to
> me. with mplayer and some experiments in /etc/fstab and /mnt, gparted
> and mkfs.ext3 i could mount some parts of one of the hdś and make the
> images visible again on a partition in one of my machines, however,
> without sound.
>
> sorry for this long introduction.

Long introduction was required to fully understand the problematic.

Okay, Google returned this:

http://www.macrosystem.us/index.php?pr=S3000

So I think your friend's appliance would be similar (maybe an older
version). It seems to be a dedicated computer for managing (input/output)
high ammounts of multimedia data which uses its own software for handling
the files (import/export and editing operations).

The fact that your were able to reproduce the images but no sound it
could indicate the files are using an audio codec not installed in your
machine.

What's the output of "file" run over one of those raw files? Are they
video or just plain images? I ask this because sometimes, high-end
multimedia systems split video files in separate chuncks of video and
audio tracks for quick access and software manipulation.

> my question: is there somebody out there who knows more of the
> casablanca 2000S and the software called bogart?

I would also ask to the company tech support guys, they will provide more
information about the raw format used by Casablanca, audio and video
codecs, etc...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón