Re: dhclient renewal

Please trim your postings to just the parts you are referring to.
Your quoted parts are waaay tooo large.   Thank you.

hvw59601 wrote:
> hvw59601 wrote:
> >hvw59601 wrote:
> >>Since I got on around 8AM, it is now 1PM, 5 hours, 4 changes.

That is a lot of chagnes.  An unusually large number.

12 hours would be fine.  A full day is typical.  It depends upon the
use model.  A coffee shop with a lot of transients needs shorter
times.  A home system with a stable set of machines can use a much
longer time.  Longer times are more robust against temporary network
outages.

> >>My feeling is that the short lease times for both devices have to
> >>do with the external IP changes.

External IP address changes should have no effect on your internal
client dhcp leases.  They are unrelated in any sane setup.

> >And also the changes in leasetime occurred when the router
> >changed, so IMO it is hardware related :-)

Your router box may be too crazy to use.  :-(

> Have no idea of how to get rid of the 57 sec. renewals.

That is way too short!  Crazy too short.

> Configured the TG585V8 with the only configurable item: "Always use
> the same IP address" set to "yes" that sets "DHCP Lease
> Time:	Infinite":
> http://debian-oaxaca.blogspot.com/2012/01/blog-post.html

That does seem like it should give your internal LAN devices the same
IP address each and every time and good forever.

That should have no effect on your router getting a new address often
from the external WAN dhcp server.  That would be completely separate
and unrelated.

> Then I did a new install of the Wheezy netinst.iso of today (Jan.7,
> 2012). Did not install any software, did not change anything, just
> the base installation. Result: lease renewal every 56 secs. Weird.

The new install of Wheezy will be unrelated to what your router
allocated for dhcp on the internal LAN.  They are not related.  Your
Wheezy install will ask your dhcp server for an address and it will be
assigned one along with a lease time.  It can only work with what it
has been given.  If your router is crazy then there isn't anything
that a Wheezy system, or any other, can do about it.

I would be inclined to look for a firmware upgrade for the router.
And then try to reset the state back to a default factory setting.
Then start again on changing the configuration.  It really sounds like
something is wrong with the software on that router.

Bob