Re: problems with having two DHCP servers... (Rick Thomas)

On 01/05/12 20:02, Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 05/01/12 20:26, Rick Thomas wrote:
On 12/27/11 22:04, Scott Ferguson wrote:
It "sounds" like you are running two DHCP servers - in which case you
have four options (none of which involve preseeding).

If you have multiple DHCP servers the problem is *easily* fixed - please
tell me the make and model of the primary (router/firewall) DHCP server
and I'll give you instructions.
Hi Scott,

I'm not the OP, but I do have this problem.  When I try to do an install
(wheezy) on a network with two DHCP servers, the installer's dhcp-client
never seems to get an IP address -- even though the two servers are both
responding and both giving the same IP address.

Both DHCP servers are dnsmasq.

When I kill off one of the servers temporarily, all goes well.

Is there a solution that isn't so drastic?

Thanks!

Rick
Hi Rick - sorry about the delayed reply, I've been busy. I've had a
quick look at the thread and I've a few questions before I make any
suggestions.
Busy happens.  Thanks for getting back in any case.
Q1. Is there any functionality only one of your DHCP servers[*1] can
provide eg. wireless connection.
They are essentially identical. Both are SheevaPlug ARM based "plug-computers". I'm researching using cheap boxes like these (running Debian) to provide network services. I hope to show that one can use free software and very inexpensive energy-efficient general-purpose hardware do full-up network support (DHCP, DNS, TFTP booting, NIS, Kerberos, printer spooling, NTP, network monitoring, etc...) for much less money than conventional IT costs using commercial purpose-built routers. Redundancy and load-sharing are important parts of the strategy.

Q2. What is the maximum number of clients you are ever likely to have
connected to the networks serviced by these DHCP servers.
In my test network, I don't expect to have more than 15-20 clients. In the eventual fully deployed system, I could be providing services to well over a 1000 clients. Here, redundancy and load-sharing will become crucial.

Q3. Do you use PXE/GPXE/RIS?

Not yet. it's in the plans though. Right now, I'm concentrating on DHCP and DNS service.
Q4. If either of these DHCP servers doesn't run Debian - what is/are the
make and model/s?
See Q1.  SheevaPlug, running Debian Squeeze.
Q5. If either of these DHCP servers run FOSS - what is the DHCP package?
Running dnsmasq providing DHCP and DNS
[*1] I noted your intention of having a backup/failover DHCP server -
I'd probably suggest a different way of doing that, but I'll wait on
some answers first.
Does that help?

Thanks!

Rick