Re: linux-source-3.2.0-rc7

On 6 Jan, 2012, at 1:51, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 01:18:51 +0800, lina wrote:
>
> (careful with that html... :-) )
Thanks.

>>> Which one?
>> You know, this thread I posted hours ago.
>
> But you listed many different packages... which one did you finally
> install?

I didn't choose any of them.
(Ha... So many choices was equal no choice)
That's why I was looking for the .deb already built in repository.

>> later I downloaded directly from the
>>
>> http://packages.debian.org/experimental/linux-source-3.2
>>
>> the bottom, there is
>>
>> Architecture Package Size Installed Size Files all
>> <http://packages.debian.org/experimental/all/linux-source-3.2/download>
>> 73,700.3 kB73,744.0 kB [list of files
>> <http://packages.debian.org/experimental/all/linux-source-3.2/filelist>]
>>
>> not build from the left side of .dsc and else as before.
>
> Ah, okay, "linux-source-3.2_3.2~rc7-1~experimental.1_all.deb". The
> "mother" of the headers packages.

>>> Kernel headers version have to match your current kernel version.

>>> Can you tell us why are you trying to install the kernel headers?
>> I used to install the linux-header-version and linux-images-version,
>> wrong?
>
> Nothing wrong, but those packages (headers) are not needed unless you
> specifically require them (for compiling things), so what was your goal
> or just installing for the sake of installing? :-)

Yes. Haha.

I noticed after make-kpkg it generated the linux headers and images. (might due to I used some flags).  So I thought both are needed.
So next time i will only install the headers?

>>> Who knows, maybe if you say what's the error you got (kernel panic)...
>>> but again, kernel headers are version-aware.
>> I don't know from where I can check the log information, I tried to grep
>> panic from /var/log, but there is none.
>
> I can't tell what to look because I don't know at what stage you received
> the kernel panic (while booting, maybe?). Unless you provide more data, I
> can only make "wild guesses".
Yes.  After booting. Choose the newly built kernel.  It's just stopped.  I forget the detailed information and forget to take a photo.

>>> (...)
>>>
>>> Lina, to avoid mixing up things, better solve your kernel headers
>> I am here.
>
> And what's your current situation? What packages have you installed? Can
> you boot your system normally?
I have old kernel 3.1. Things are back to fine if I don't make some new trouble.
Tomorrow I guess I want to try to rebuild.

May I ask you something?

Are there some intelligent package, something like read the lspci and other hardware information. And according the info to vim the .config
I don't have much hardware knowledge either, so can't build a specific and light kernel.  Last one I build the /lib/module so heavy.

>>> problematic and then open separate threads for the rest of the issues
>>> should they still apply.
>> I really realize that one saying, trouble never never comes alone. the
>> "date" issue is so bad, I can't open webpage without warning, even can't
>> open my email box, neither mention send emails and build package. but
>> now I feel it's really funny. I mean, things are really time sensitive.
>> Now I can't connect to kernel.org.
>
> Give detailed steps on what you are doing right now, what's the current
> kernel you are running and what's wrong with it.

You are admirable SERIOUS. Which is something I miss in my life.   Haha... Inspiring.

> Greetings,

Best wishes,

P.S. back 10 hours later.