Re: System doesn't start X on first boot

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:
> George writes:

>>> Some time ago, the nvidia driver had a timing issue with the X server,
>>> so it randomly didn't start because the driver wasn't initialized at the
>>> time X did.
>>>
>>> In order to check this is the case, even you're not on nvidia hardware,
>>> don't reboot, but just restart your desktop manager:
>>>
>>> sudo service {kdm|gdm|xdm|...} restart
>>
>> Thanks, this allowed me to proceed to kdm without rebooting. I can
>> also confirm that I'm using the nvidia driver. So, is there a way to
>> rectify this situation so I don't have to do an explicit restart of
>> the service?
>>

> I don't know any. I vaguely remember that now it seldom happens to
> me. Maybe your particular configuration makes it happen always.
>
> I have not looked into the package in order to see where they set the
> timeout. You could send a bug report in order to notify this is not yet
> resolved.

As a work around, you may be able to edit /etc/init.d/kdm (or the
appropriate display manager startup script) and find the start) second
and then add a sleep statement before the display manager is started.
I don't know how many seconds of sleep are appropriate for your
problem, but you can experiment.

Good luck!

--
Chris