Re: System doesn't start X on first boot

George writes:

> On 1/5/12, Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:
>> George writes:
>>> When I boot my computer, most of the time I get a command line without
>>> X starting. I have to "sudo reboot", wait for the system to reboot and
>>> then I get the correct X environment (I'm using awesome window manager
>>> but I also have kde installed).
>>> Any suggestions to troubleshoot this?
>> Some time ago, the nvidia driver had a timing issue with the X server,
>> so it randomly didn't start because the driver wasn't initialized at the
>> time X did.
>> In order to check this is the case, even you're not on nvidia hardware,
>> don't reboot, but just restart your desktop manager:
>> sudo service {kdm|gdm|xdm|...} restart
> Thanks, this allowed me to proceed to kdm without rebooting. I can
> also confirm that I'm using the nvidia driver. So, is there a way to
> rectify this situation so I don't have to do an explicit restart of
> the service?

I don't know any. I vaguely remember that now it seldom happens to
me. Maybe your particular configuration makes it happen always.

I have not looked into the package in order to see where they set the
timeout. You could send a bug report in order to notify this is not yet