Best remote control software

Currently I am using x11vnc as the server on Debian and tightvnc
viewer on Windows 7.

Both machines are connected via LAN cable and are only meters apart.
Debian is installed on a 12' laptop and windows 7 on a desktop with
dual screens, I wanted to see if I can use VNC to access Debian on
win7 machine. It works but the performance using the above
applications is not that good. There's lag and the display output is
not as clear as expected.

I was just wondering what is the best software solution available.
Otherwise I might invest in a KVM switch.

--
Kind regards,
Yudi