Re: regarding e2fsprogs 1.42

Camaleón:
> On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 15:27:50 +0100, Joar Jegleim wrote:
>
>> anybody got any foo on how to install e2fsprogs from wheezy into squeeze
>> ?
>> […]
>> Has anybody tried this, or got any hints ?
>
> No hints, sorry. Sounds like a dangerous movement only suitable for a VM
> (with a previous saved working snapshot) or over a testing machine.

ACK. Another option might be to debootstrap wheezy into a local
directory and chroot into that. You probably don't need
mkfs/fsck/tune2fs on a daily basis. Just disable automatic fscks on boot
(tune2fs -i0 -c0) to make sure the old fsck doesn't touch the
filesystem.

I am not sure whether that would work for the root filesystem, but I
guess nobody needs or wants 16TB for that.

And if this was a critical system, I would probably try very hard to
avoid the situation altogether (split the data across multiple
filesystems) or use another distribution with more recent tools.

J.
--
I will not admit to failure even when I know I am terribly mistaken and
have offended others.