Re (3): ~/.profile

From:	Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
Date:	Mon, 02 Jan 2012 01:28:53 +0200
> My guess is that you are using a display manager that is not sourcing profile,
> but you should provide more info (console or terminal emulator, how do you start X, etc.).

The systems can be named A and B.  Both have xdm and LXDE.  I am working
in LXTerminal on A and telneting to B through an OpenVPN tunnel.  EDITOR
is not set on A but is vi on B.

> If this were in your ~/.bash_profile then the newer form is definitely safe ...

These systems have .bashrc and .profile.  Neither has .bash_profile and I
don't recall deleting it.

> It is a long story ...

I have to be skeptical about the necessity or benefit of this complexity.
OK; rather than spend more time on it, I'll tolerate nano for the incrontab
editor.

Thanks,                  ... Peter E.

>--
Telephone 1 360 639 0202.  Former telephone 1 360 450 2132.
bcc: peasthope ... shaw.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/";
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary";