Re: Boot failure between grub and kernel?

Steven wrote:
Hi list,

First of all Happy New Year.

I'm running Debian Wheezy and the past month I have this strange problem
when doing a cold boot. The system hangs right after the GRUB2 selection
menu, before any md raid arrays have been started.
After the GRUB2 selection menu the screen only displays "Loading, please
wait..." and hangs indefinitely. Hitting the reset button works most of
the time, but occasionally additional attempts are needed.
In a normal situation the screen would display the same "Loading, please
wait..." message, but immediately followed by the messages that the md
raid arrays have been started (Still "loading please wait" message on
top, which disappears as the screen starts scrolling) and after that all
other messages from a normal boot.

<snip>

I don't have raid, but this scenario happens to me about 80% of the time. Happened this morning. Cold boot. Message "Loading, please wait..." and then nothing. Hit reset. Then everything OK. Also happens when I suspend to disk and resume. This is a desktop with an Asus M4N98TD EVO mobo, 4GB mem, 4 HDD's. No messages anywhere about the hang. It's not kbd related because I have switched kbds, it may be mobo related, I don't remember if this happened with my previous mobo.

Happy New Year.

Hugo