Re: [OT] Rosetta Stone language program on Linux?

On 01/01/12 11:07, Lisi wrote:
> On Saturday 31 December 2011 23:52:56 Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> I would hope the first thing you would do is a quick search to see if
>> it's supported before asking if it's worth running. I strongly
>> suspect/hope you'd also (if you didn't already speak French) try and
>> find a Linux equivalent.
>
> Yes, I am not about to go out and buy it!  But I am interested in computer
> landguage learning programs.  Ever since my son (then aged 14 or 15 and now
> aged 42) wrote a program to help himself to learn French vocabulary for his
> GCE.  He based it on an analysis of how I helped him, which he had found very
> effective.  He then did several adaptations for other languages for his
> friends.
>

> Lisi

I can highly recommend the BBC courses as a start. Platform agnostic and
free:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/

There are a number of Open Source Linux programs that can assist with
learning French (and other foreign languages). Japanese is probably the
most supported foreign language, but French is also available. It'd be
nice if they had more users and development:-
Anki - flash card system with downloadable language packs
Mnemosyne - similar to Anki
Verbiste - conjugation system

There are a huge number of programs I haven't tried for memorization,
dictionaries, grammar, even pronunciation - and a number of subtitle
based video programs.

Best (for me), but not remotely Debian/Linux are immersion labs. I won't
promote them here but I've know several people who spoke very highly of
a 2 week course in the Loire Valley.

Cheers