Re: where did gmplayer go?

On 01/01/12 00:42, Steve Kleene wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 01:34:52 +0000 (UTC), I wrote:
>>> Until recently, there was a file /usr/bin/gmplayer that was just a link to
>>> /usr/bin/mplayer.
>
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 15:30:42 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> gmplayer and mplayer are different binaries.
>
>>From /usr/bin in a recent backup:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root        7 Jun 18  2011 gmplayer -> mplayer

Interesting - I'm unable to reproduce that. The only reason I can think
of (in 60 seconds) is that I'm not pulling mplayer or mplayer-gui from
multimedia.

> Looks like they're the same binary to me (gmplayer being just a link to
> mplayer).

Perhaps you only have the mplayer-gui package installed - though if it's
from the Debian repositories it doesn't explain the different package date.

> Unless you consider a link to be a separate binary in itself.

No. :-)

Perhaps this will make it a little easier to see:-
      Only "mplayer" installed (from Debian)

scott@t22:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep mplayer
mplayer                                         install
scott@t22:~$ ls -sl /usr/bin | grep mplayer
 4064 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root   root     4161172 Aug  2  2010 mplayer

      Only "mplayer-gui" installed (from Debian)

scott@t60:~$ ls -sl /usr/bin | grep mplayer
 4464 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root   root     4570264 Aug  2  2010 gmplayer
 4064 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root   root     4161172 Aug  2  2010 mplayer
scott@t60:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep mplayer
mplayer                                         install
mplayer-gui                                     install
mplayer-skin-blue                               install

Cheers