Re: cron.daily error for apt

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011, Bob Proulx wrote:

Better to use a mirror.  Take a look at the amount of bandwidth used
by the main site.  Wow!

 http://www.debian-multimedia.org/statistics.php

   hi Bob,
   Actually, the increase is impressive
   I changed to one of the listed mirrors.

Right.  You removed it.  It is a conffile.  Therefore the system
respects your changes to that file.  Including removing it.  The
system views removing a conffile as an intended change from the admin
and preserves that change.

  I understand this behaviour for a removed conffile. but not for a modified one:
  I imagine that aptitude doesn't know whether this conffile comes from a previous
  version or not.
  Anyway, if it decides not to install the file, it should:
     asks whether to replace or not(cf below), or at least display a warning message.

To avoid that you can set the confmiss option so that it will install
files that have been removed.

 aptitude -o DPkg::Options::=--force-confmiss reinstall apt

I always set that option in my apt.conf file so that it is the
default.
    this works, as the name suggests it, only for removed conffiles.
    To replace also the modified files, I added in apt.conf
            "--force-confask";
     I think there was a time where this was the default with apt-get

   thank you for all the informations.

--
Pierre Frenkiel