Re: cron.daily error for apt

Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> Looking in the log for cron.daily, I discovered the following problem:
>
>   /etc/cron.daily/apt contains a line:
>       apt-key net-update

I do not see such a line in Squeeze or Sid.  What version of apt do
you have installed?

  $ dpkg --status apt | awk '/Version:/{print$NF}'
  0.8.10.3+squeeze1

>   which gives:
>       ERROR: no location for the archive-keyring given
>
>   the net-update command is accepted, although it is neither in the man nor
>   in "apt-key --help"
>
>   "apt-key update" gives no error.
>
> Is the bug in /etc/cron.daily/apt  or in apt-key (or both)?

Or is /etc/cron.daily/apt from an version that has already been
updated?  That line doesn't appear in Lenny, Squeeze or Sid.

Are you actualy running Ubuntu?  Ubuntu has a call to apt-key in their
version of the package.

The Debian man page for apt-key says:

       net-update
           APT in Debian does not support this command and relies on
           update instead, but Ubuntu's APT does.

Bob