Re: cron.daily error for apt

Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> >I do not see such a line in Squeeze or Sid.  What version of apt do
> >you have installed?
>
>   it's difficult for me to understand this mess;
>   I am on Squeeze. apt version is
>      0.8.10.3+squeeze1

That looks normal.

>    deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
>    deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
>    deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib non-free
>    deb-src http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib non-free

Those are normal.

>    deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main contrib non-free

Should be fine.

>    deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free

Better to use a mirror.  Take a look at the amount of bandwidth used
by the main site.  Wow!

  http://www.debian-multimedia.org/statistics.php

Therefore to be kind there I strongly recommend using a mirror.  The
list of mirror sites is available here:

  http://www.debian-multimedia.org/debian-m.php

>    deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian squeeze contrib
>    deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free
>    deb http://deb.playonlinux.com/ squeeze main

I know nothing of the quality of those repositories.  Some will
undoubtedly be high quality than others.

>    I removed /etc/cron.daily/apt, and did "aptitude reinstall apt"
>    After that:
>       1/ the cron file is not installed, although it is listed in "dpkg -L apt"

Right.  You removed it.  It is a conffile.  Therefore the system
respects your changes to that file.  Including removing it.  The
system views removing a conffile as an intended change from the admin
and preserves that change.  I know you didn't think about it that way
but that is the way it works.

To avoid that you can set the confmiss option so that it will install
files that have been removed.

  aptitude -o DPkg::Options::=--force-confmiss reinstall apt

I always set that option in my apt.conf file so that it is the
default.

Bob