Re: job in crontab not running

Adam Mercer wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> >> from this I was able to determine that NSCD wasn't running, restarting
> >> this allowed jobs to run successfully!
> >
> > Does this mean that you are running NIS/YP or LDAP from the network?
> > Are your servers "slow" such as on a remote network or otherwise
> > negatively impacting performance?
>
> They shouldn't that are on the same subnet and linked via 10GigE.

Sorry but you typed that in too quickly and the errors make it hard
for me to deduce what you really meant.  I think you mean that they
shouldn't be slow since they are on the same subnet and linked via
10GigE?  That would not count as remote in my mind.  That would be
pretty local and pretty fast!

They could still be slow such as if the machine hosting the service is
slow due to being overloaded or memory stressed or some such slow
machine problem.  But unlikely or you would deal with it.  In which
case since your server is local and should be fast I don't think you
need nscd.

To be clear I am not vehemently opposed to it.  It has uses.  It also
has problems.  If you are not tickling the problems then you won't see
them and it won't matter to you.  But I think simpler is usually
better and so I do like to simplify if possible.  Not having it is
simpler than having it.  (shrug)

> > If you don't need it then it is better not to run it and it is
> > rare to find people who really need it these days.
>
> Without NSCD running cron jobs fail to run, if you're suggesting not
> running it how can I get cron working?

The nscd is not required for cron jobs to run.  I don't want to
suggest that you thrash your production machine but if you could test
this on a test machine I think you will find that nscd is not required
for cron.  Really it isn't!  I assure you that since I had a bad
experience with it that I never install nscd, or remove it if I find
it installed, and yet cron works perfectly fine for all users.
Specifically I am talking about NIS/YP accounts.

Bob