Re: job in crontab not running

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 07:52:33 -0600, Adam Mercer wrote:

> On a squeeze box I'd like to run a script every night at 1:01am, as such
> I have the following entry in my crontab:
>
> $ crontab -l
> 1  1  *  *  *  /home/laltest/test/nightly/nightly-git.sh
> $
>
> However the script never runs and I don't any email from cron indicating
> script failure, when I run the script by hand it succeeds. It simply
> appears that cron is not running the script. I've tried looking in
> various logs to get an explanation of this but I can't find anything to
> explain this.
>
> Why wouldn't the above crontab entry cause the script to be run?

Do a "grep -i cron /var/log/syslog" and check for the output.

I don't know why is failing, though the most commom error is not taking
into account environmental variables that you have to may have to
manually set for shell, paths, etc...

You can append "2>&1 >> /var/log/nightly-git.log" to get the output
logged to a file.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón