Re: Everything seems to cause a reboot

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 14:42:59 +1100, goossens wrote:

> I have tried a differnt keyboard (an USB and a different ps2) and makes
> no difference to the problem, so I guess it is a graphics driver issue.
>
> I have followed advice from all the very helpful people who have
> responded.  I tried
>
> apci=off
>
> and
>
> reboot=bios
>
> and they make no difference.

There are more options you can pass to the kernel related to ACPI/APIC
subsystem:

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

> If I turn off gdm and just boot into a text tty, Crtl-Alt-Fn works fine,
> and the system shuts down and reboots nicely.  SO it _must_ be something
> to do with the graphics/X.  So I guess they don't 'pass through' the key
> sequences, but must reinterpret them at some level?
>
> If it is a 'graphics driver' problem, how do I tackle that?  Is there a
> more appropriate forum?  SHoudl I be going to X.org?

I still think is is an ACPI issue more than hardware (mouse/keyboard) or
a VGA driver problem. But to start discarding culprits you can try to:

- Use a different VGA driver (if possible)
- Test with another DE or WM (this can be also tried from a LiveCD)
- Review the logs

Greetings,

--
Camaleón