Re: can't load nvidia kernel module

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 20:58:57 -0300, David Roguin wrote:

> I have this problem, nouveau it's getting loaded at the beginning of the
> boot sequence, and then when X tries to load the nvidia module it
> crashes saying the graphic card is already being used. If I manually
> remove the nouveau module and modprobe nvidia, everything works fine.

As others already said, nouveau and nvidia modules cannot be loaded at
the same time, you will have to blacklist "nuvó".

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#X_doesn.27t_start

> I've tried removing the xorg.conf and let X to take care but gnome-shell
> doesn't load with the nouveau driver, i guess nouveau can't really make
> use of the nvidia card I have.

(...)

Yes, nouveau has to work with gnome-shell although it is an ongoing work.
Report any problem you're facing with this at Debian BTS.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón