Re: Iceweasel really slow

Resending to the list

On 29/12/11 04:31, Brad Alexander wrote:
> The OP didn't mention what version he was running, but I have had pretty
> good luck with 8.0.x. They seem to have fixed a number of memory
> leaks...It seemed like the RAM requirements are a lot lighter. However,
> 9.0 seems to require more CPU. I have to kill and restart at least once
> a week, and I normally have between 50 and 100 tabs open at any given time.
>
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 5:36 AM, Scott Ferguson
> <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com
> <mailto:prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 28/12/11 19:48, Alan Chandler wrote:
>     > I am finding that Iceweasel seems to be really slow at times loading a
>     > web site.  Whilst it is being slow the user interface is locked
>     solid. I
>     > am not talking the odd second - delays of 20/30 seconds are occuring.
>
>     Longer in my case - in one instance it took more than two minutes for a
>     right-click menu choice to be selected (Open Link in New Tab...)

<snipped>

>     >
>     > I thought it might be my add ons - although they are the standard
>     ones -
>     > but I disabled all of them and still its occuring.
>     >
>     > Anyone else seeing this issue
>
>     Yes - on Iceweasel 9.0.1. last night. I was unable to reproduce it so I
>     put it down to update checking and made a note to sniff the traffic
>     should it happen again.
>
>     Hasn't happened today, and I run a lot of extensions.
>     It only happened the once - felt like it was long running script.
>     I shut it down and restarted it, hasn't happened since.
>
>     Just went to Slashdot and opened a dozen tabs in addition to the current
>     7 open. No problems (lead story at least 5 days stale)
>     No problems with your site either.

<snipped>

I only ran 9.0 for a couple of days before 9.0.1 was released. I'm still
running 8.x on several boxes - in my case 9.0.1 seems quicker.

Firefox/Iceweasel tends to use as much RAM as it can get, and surrender
what it doesn't need when it's needed by the system - so I don't know
how to measure how efficiently it uses it. I haven't looked at CPU usage
- on this box it's using around 30+%. But this is just a low-end desktop
only box so I'm not sure how that compares to your situation.

Cheers