apache2 fails w/ "could not open transfer log file"

I recently did an apt-get dist-upgrade to an old lenny, bringing him to squeezy.

apache 2 now refuses to start, with this message found in
/var/log/apache2/error.log

[Wed Dec 28 22:10:21 2011] [error] (2)No such file or directory: could not open
transfer log file /etc/apache2/${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/other_vhosts_access.log.
Unable to open logs

There are many old 'other_vhosts_access.log' files in this same
/var/log/apache2 dir:

-rw-r----- 1 root adm      0 Oct 23 06:25 other_vhosts_access.log
-rw-r----- 1 root adm   1202 Oct 18 21:39 other_vhosts_access.log.1
-rw-r----- 1 root adm    302 Oct 15 17:30 other_vhosts_access.log.2.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm    271 Sep 27 21:06 other_vhosts_access.log.3.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm    269 Aug 21 21:42 other_vhosts_access.log.4.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm    392 Jul 25 01:05 other_vhosts_access.log.5.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm    870 Jun 24  2011 other_vhosts_access.log.6.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm    542 May 22  2011 other_vhosts_access.log.7.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm    254 May 14  2011 other_vhosts_access.log.8.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm    737 Mar 14  2011 other_vhosts_access.log.9.gz

Things seem to have run swimmingly for a long time, and then...kaput!

Here's what I have now for packages:

# dpkg -l |grep apache2
ii  apache2
2.2.16-6+squeeze4              Apache HTTP Server metapackage
ii  apache2-doc
2.2.16-6+squeeze4              Apache HTTP Server documentation
ii  apache2-mpm-worker
2.2.16-6+squeeze4              Apache HTTP Server - high speed
threaded model
ii  apache2-utils
2.2.16-6+squeeze4              utility programs for webservers
ii  apache2.2-bin
2.2.16-6+squeeze4              Apache HTTP Server common binary files
ii  apache2.2-common
2.2.16-6+squeeze4              Apache HTTP Server common files

TIA if anyone can shed any light on this dys/mal/function!

--
No no no, my fish's name is Eric, Eric the fish. He's an halibut. I am
not a looney! Why should I be tarred with the epithet looney merely

http://trollboy.thruhere.net:8080/MontyPython/fish.htm