Re: apache2 fails w/ "could not open transfer log file"

Eric d'Halibut wrote:
> I recently did an apt-get dist-upgrade to an old lenny, bringing him to squeezy.
>
> apache 2 now refuses to start, with this message found in
> /var/log/apache2/error.log
>
> [Wed Dec 28 22:10:21 2011] [error] (2)No such file or directory: could not open
> transfer log file /etc/apache2/${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/other_vhosts_access.log.
> Unable to open logs

The problem is that when you upgraded you kept part of your old Lenny
style configuration and upgraded other parts to the new Squeeze
configuration.  You are betwixt and between.  You have some old and
some new.  The APACHE_LOG_DIR is from the new part.

Look for files with a .dpkg ending.

  # find /etc/apache2 -name '*.dpkg*'

Review those files.  I expect you will see a file:

  /etc/apache2/envvars.dpkg-new

The new Squeeze version of that file is quite different from the
previous Lenny version.  Merge your changes into the new file.  Or
better yet simply move the new file into place and don't make any
local edits to it.  But I assume you must have made a local edit for a
reason.  But instead of setting variables in /etc/apache2/envvars I
think it is better to set them in /etc/default/apache2 where they are
easier to preserve across upgrades.  But of course everything depends
upon your particular needs.  What were you setting there?

You should review all of the files in /etc that have been changed.
Run find across all of /etc looking for packaged files that were
either upgraded or not.

  # find /etc/apache2 -name '*.dpkg*'

Review and merge as needed.  Clean them up as you go and then future
changes will be easier to spot.

Bob