Re: resolving dependencies in aptitude

On Mi, 28 dec 11, 02:35:41, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> Recently, with wheezy, when I try to upgrade using aptitude in teh
> interactive interface, I get a lot of potentially unsatisfied
> dependencies.  (I use u to update the package list, then U to make a set
> of upgrades) Aptitude usually suggests I remove a lot of packages.  gnome
> and its minions are usually on the list, which is drastic.  I end up
> exploring alternatives, but there are often no acceptable ones.  I seem
> to remember there used to be a way to upgrade where it would only
> consider packages that could be upgraded without removing stuff (except
> for packages that had become obsolete or had nothing depending on them
> any more, of course).

Only via the commandline (safe-upgrade). U in interactive mode does the
equivalent of full-upgrade. I'm guessing the rationale is that in
interactive mode the admin is able to pass various hints to fix such
complex situations, or just decide to wait

BTW, you are of course aware that Gnome 3 has migrated to wheezy, right?
(I'm asking because you might be seeing the Gnome 2 -> Gnome 3 upgrade)

Kind regards,
Andrei