resolving dependencies in aptitude

Recently, with wheezy, when I try to upgrade using aptitude in teh
interactive interface, I get a lot of potentially unsatisfied
dependencies.  (I use u to update the package list, then U to make a set
of upgrades) Aptitude usually suggests I remove a lot of packages.  gnome
and its minions are usually on the list, which is drastic.  I end up
exploring alternatives, but there are often no acceptable ones.  I seem
to remember there used to be a way to upgrade where it would only
consider packages that could be upgraded without removing stuff (except
for packages that had become obsolete or had nothing depending on them
any more, of course).

Is there any way to get that behaviour now?

-- hendrik