Re: Setting up ethernet/modem was: Re: connections tab

On 27/12/11 22:16, Lisi wrote:

>>> You don't mention which desktop, if any, you are using.  This info is
>>> very relevant.
>>>
>>> But anyway, it sounds as though you may be thinking of Windows, at which
>>> rate
>>> the reply to your question would be: You don't see the connections tab in
>>> network-admin(network settings) because Debian is Linux.
> On Tuesday 27 December 2011 10:06:58 you wrote:
>> this is my problem:
>> i want config my network adapter when i am click on HELP in network-admin
>> window, i see other tab "connections" but i don't have this tab in
>> network-admin window
>> please see this link:
>> http://www.debianadmin.com/debian-networking-for-basic-and-advanced-users.h
>> tml in this image you can see:
>> [image: 3.png]
>
> Is your desktop Gnome?  If so, is it Gnome 2?  I think that that is what is in
> Squeeze (Debian 6 and the current Stable).
>
> One explanation could be that this particular Ubuntu package doesn't work with
> Debain 6.0.3.  Or it could simply be a mismatch for Debian 6.0.3.  If it is
> based on what is now Debian Sid, it may well not work with Squeeze .
>
> Another could be that your ethernet or modem is not connected physically.  If
> you are trying to use a wireless connection, you would be better using a
> wired connection for the initial config.  If you are already using a wired
> connection, check that the cables are fully pushed in.
>
> I haven't myself got or used this package, so cannot give it a dry run.  a)  I
> have never knowingly used an Ubuntu package on Debian, so do not know much
> about doing so and b) I myself use /etc/network/interfaces to set up
> connections, except where wireless is present, when I use wicd.  Those are
> both options which are open to you.  But I'm afraid I can't help with your
> specific problem, not because I am unwilling, but because I don't know Ubuntu
> packages.
>
> Hopefully, someone else will be better able to help you than I.  I know that
> there are people on this list who use Network Manager, so there are probably
> also people using the GUI tool that you are trying to use.
>
> Lisi

That's a very old article you're referring to Hamed (circa 2007)...
perhaps these might be more relevant:-
http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
http://wiki.debian.org/Network

While it does have some useful articles - don't confuse the domain name
with the official Debian site, debian.org, which is usually the best
source of relevant documentation.