Setting up ethernet/modem was: Re: connections tab

On Tuesday 27 December 2011 10:06:58 you wrote:
> this is my problem:
> i want config my network adapter when i am click on HELP in network-admin
> window, i see other tab "connections" but i don't have this tab in
> network-admin window
> please see this link:
> http://www.debianadmin.com/debian-networking-for-basic-and-advanced-users.h
>tml in this image you can see:
> [image: 3.png]

Is your desktop Gnome?  If so, is it Gnome 2?  I think that that is what is in
Squeeze (Debian 6 and the current Stable).

One explanation could be that this particular Ubuntu package doesn't work with
Debain 6.0.3.  Or it could simply be a mismatch for Debian 6.0.3.  If it is
based on what is now Debian Sid, it may well not work with Squeeze .

Another could be that your ethernet or modem is not connected physically.  If
you are trying to use a wireless connection, you would be better using a
wired connection for the initial config.  If you are already using a wired
connection, check that the cables are fully pushed in.

I haven't myself got or used this package, so cannot give it a dry run.  a)  I
have never knowingly used an Ubuntu package on Debian, so do not know much
about doing so and b) I myself use /etc/network/interfaces to set up
connections, except where wireless is present, when I use wicd.  Those are
both options which are open to you.  But I'm afraid I can't help with your
specific problem, not because I am unwilling, but because I don't know Ubuntu
packages.

Hopefully, someone else will be better able to help you than I.  I know that
there are people on this list who use Network Manager, so there are probably
also people using the GUI tool that you are trying to use.

Lisi