Re: displaying Japanese in the virtual consoles/terminals in squeeze

(Forgot to reply to list.)
On 12/26/11, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 09:10:48PM +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
>> For reasons I don't care to debate, I have set my system's default
>> language to Japanese. When I go to work in the virtual console windows
>> (for instance, apt-get), I tend to get messages that should be in
>> Japanese, but the Japanese is replaced by the Unicode replacement
>> characters ("?"), which is no problem unless I hit some errors. Which,
>> of course is a problem..
>
> Normal Linux console is only good for UTF-8 within latin-like
> characters.
>
>> Trying to search the web for this, and all I can see is old stuff,
>> stuff about game consoles, and stuff about setting up X11. I know I
>> should be able to get better results, but I'm not very imaginative.
>
> For example, Debian console installer runs on virtual console with
> japanese display or any fancy characters.  This is because they run
> special terminal program.
>
>> Should be the same set of issues, except for the specific parameters,
>> for any large-character-set language.
>
>   jfbterm
>   fbterm-ucimf
>   fbterm
>   bogl-bterm

apt-get show fbterm tells me fbterm is installed, but I don't see any
.fbtermrc files in the user directories when I login to the virtual
consoles.

Do you have a recommendation?

> Try one of these with appropriate font packages.  I think you can get
> Japanese display.

The man page for fbterm doesn't seem to be telling me how to set it
up. I'm going to have to re-read it a few times, I guess.

>> Anyone with a clue for me?
>
> But for all practical purpose, Use X or run aptitude on normal Linux
> console under any Locale with:
>
> $ sudo LANGUAGE=fr_FR.UTF-8 aptitude
>  or
> $ sudo LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8 aptitude
>
> Then you can read it :-)
>
> Osamu

Well, I've had running X11 sessions fight with upgraded X11 packages
in the past, and had to manually cycle power to bring the system back
up (no ping, even), so I prefer to do the apt-get upgrade in a virtual
console shell, where X11 can stay out of the way.

As for why the system itself is set up in Japanese, well, I have not
been able to bring my children up bi-lingual, and I want them to be
able to get around my computers, I've habitually set them up Japanese.

(Now that my son is in high school, I sometimes question the wisdom of
this plan. But there's no way to teach the guy the reasons why without
letting him do stupid things, so I just put up with it.)

Joel Rees