Dell Latitude E6410 - Upgrading to Backports Kernel

Hi all,

I have a Dell Latitude E6410 with nVidia graphics, and I would like to upgrade to a backports kernel. I currently run the proprietary nVidia drivers on the stock Squeeze kernel, because they seem to "just work". It's my understanding that I will not be able to install these from repositories, as the necessary modules are not offered for backports kernels. I believe there are ways around this (such as building my own modules from source or moving to the nouveau drivers).

Has anybody had experience getting this machine working with a newer kernel? I don't want to take the plunge without some guidance, as I usually just manage with the stock kernel without any issues.

I'd also like to get off the proprietary drivers if I can, however I'm unsure of the Nouveau route.

The other option is rather than going the Squeeze + backports route, should I merely upgrade my entire machine to Wheezy or even Sid? I like the stability that Squeeze offers, but there are a few incompatibilities (lack of touchpad scrolling in particular) which are beginning to annoy me with the stock Squeeze kernel.

Cheers,
Ashton

--
Ashton Fagg (ashton@fagg.id.au)