displaying Japanese in the virtual consoles/terminals in squeeze

For reasons I don't care to debate, I have set my system's default
language to Japanese. When I go to work in the virtual console windows
(for instance, apt-get), I tend to get messages that should be in
Japanese, but the Japanese is replaced by the Unicode replacement
characters ("?"), which is no problem unless I hit some errors. Which,
of course is a problem..

Trying to search the web for this, and all I can see is old stuff,
stuff about game consoles, and stuff about setting up X11. I know I
should be able to get better results, but I'm not very imaginative.

Should be the same set of issues, except for the specific parameters,
for any large-character-set language.

Anyone with a clue for me?