Re: Dell Latitude E6410 - Upgrading to Backports Kernel

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 12:20:36PM +1000, Ashton Fagg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Dell Latitude E6410 with nVidia graphics, and I would like
> to upgrade to a backports kernel. I currently run the proprietary
> nVidia drivers on the stock Squeeze kernel, because they seem to
> "just work". It's my understanding that I will not be able to
> install these from repositories, as the necessary modules are not
> offered for backports kernels. I believe there are ways around this

I believe that is true.

> I'd also like to get off the proprietary drivers if I can, however
> I'm unsure of the Nouveau route.

I've generally had success with Nouveau.  The exception is a couple of
old video chips (one a laptop, the other a desktop).  I had to revert to
the nv driver, which worked fine in those cases.

> The other option is rather than going the Squeeze + backports route,
> should I merely upgrade my entire machine to Wheezy or even Sid? I
> like the stability that Squeeze offers, but there are a few
> incompatibilities (lack of touchpad scrolling in particular) which
> are beginning to annoy me with the stock Squeeze kernel.

I run Wheezy on a machine that needed it because of this very issue.  It
was on a MythTV machine, and I needed the proprietary nVidia driver.
Wheezy runs fine, but the constant updates (or should I say temptation
of updates) is getting annoying.  But I like to "set it and forget it"
more than I like getting the latest and greatest.

-Rob