Re: No sound on AC'97 Audio Controller

On 12/24/2011 08:23 PM, hvw59601 wrote:
Kyle Schwarz wrote:
I'm having issues getting the sound to work on a laptop that has a
AC'97 Audio Controller. The laptop is a Compaq Presario 2720US.

<snip>

Am I reading your amixer output right? I see:

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 63
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-94.50dB] [off]
Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-94.50dB] [off]

You are right, I did have the volume turned down when I ran the alsa info script. I apologize for that, but I did turn my sound all the way up, and here is the new reading:
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 63
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 63 [100%] [0.00dB] [off]
  Front Right: Playback 63 [100%] [0.00dB] [off]

Again I apologize for the confusion on the alsa-info output.

My output of amixer for my VT1708S is:

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined penum
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 42
Mono: Playback 42 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

If I set 'Master' with alsamixer to 0 (as I believe your is) I hear
nothing over my speakers. Is the master set to 0?

I turned it to 100%, and still no sound plays though the speakers.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the continued help.

Best regards
  Kyle Schwarz