Re: Re: No sound on AC'97 Audio Controller

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 12:01:37PM -0500, Kyle Schwarz wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 11:09:01 +0100, Ralf Madorf wrote:
> > I'm not willing to read it, until you exactly describe your troubles.
> No sound comes from the speakers on the laptop. For some reason I do
> hear sound though the headphone jack, but not though the speakers.
>
> The volume is not muted (I've made sure with alsamixer), and I know
> the speakers work.

Two GUI apps I have found useful in troubleshooting audio are:

gstreamer-properties
gnome-volume-control.pulse

Besides that, find your audio devices with 'aplay -l' and/or 'aplay -L',
then try playing to all of those devices like this:

aplay -Dhw1,0 somefile.wav

Note that aplay is picky about file formats.  If I recall, flac files
won't play.  I use wav files and have generally been successful.

Good luck!

-Rob