Re: RAID 1 - software or hardware.

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 11:00:10 +1000, yudi v wrote:

>> I'd go for hardware RAID as long as there is a true and real hardware
>> RAID controller behind with a battery backup et al (in brief, a *good*
>> RAID controller, not the motherboard's one which are usually nothing
>> but fakeraid and a pile of unforeseen problems).
>>
>> Otherwise I would use software RAID (md).
>>
> Aren't hardware RAID cards really expensive.

Yes.

Well, "expensive" definition can vary depending on the country but a good
hardware RAID controller can be from $250 up to thousands USD, that's the
price to pay for stable and well tested hardware.

> I am just trying to get some form of redundancy.

Redundancy is fine, but don't forget about backups. They're usually -and
wrongly- underestimated and sometimes even more valuable than a RAID 1
system.

> I wish linux has something similar to ZFS. The options in ZFS for data
> redundancy are just awesome.

Let's hope Btrfs can nicely integrate such feature and becomes a real
option for users soon :-)

> I guess my best bet is to go with software RAID.

So I think.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón