Re: Everything seems to cause a reboot

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 21:37:43 -0500 (EST), Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Yet none of this will fix his reboot issue, if indeed it's caused by the
> onboard 8042, which I suspect.  I think the kernel parm mentioned by
> Paul is Darren's best bet at this point at getting the Model M working
> properly.
>
> My guess is that Darren's Sandy Bridge motherboard simply doesn't like
> that old KB with the inbuilt 8042, and the way the chip handles A20
> switching.  To prove this theory Darren needs to try a modern KB.  If
> that doesn't fix it, then we dive into the Intel graphics driver, mobo
> BIOS settings, possible bad motherboard, etc.

For diagnostic purposes, it probably is a good idea to try another
keyboard, temporarily at least.  But I have seen an incorrect keyboard
definition cause reboot problems.  Another machine I use has a Dell
SK-8125 USB keyboard.  This keyboard model has 103 keys.  It doesn't
match the default pc105 key mapping.  I had reboot problems with it
too, until I set XKBMODEL to dellsk8125.  It works fine now.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :