Re: Everything seems to cause a reboot

On 12/20/2011 6:25 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 19:01:45 -0500 (EST), Darren wrote:
>>
>> The tty switcher could be a keyboard issue, I
>> support, with the wrong codes being sent, but I have no idea how to fix
>> that, and I've treid reading around the web but I can't find anything I
>> can use.  I have an IBM Model M 101 keyboard.  X seems to think I have a
>> 105 key board, but I can't see how that can be the problem.  But it does
>> seem like it might be something to do with the Xorg config I guess, but I
>> don't know how to fix that.  Tried a simple-minded Xorg -configure, but it
>> did not help.
>
> The IBM Model M is the best keyboard ever made, in my humble opinion.
> I am using one now to compose this e-mail.  Edit /etc/default/keyboard
> and configure the keyboard.  Here are the settings I use:
>
>    XKBMODEL="pc101"
>    XKBLAYOUT="us"
>    XKBVARIANT=""
>    XKBOPTIONS="lv3:ralt_switch"
>
> Then shutdown and reboot.
>
> The valid names you can use for XKBMODEL are listed in
> /usr/share/console-setup/KeyboardNames.pl.  For more information,
> see the documentation files in /usr/share/doc/console-setup.
>
> The XKBOPTIONS value used above restores the ability to use the
> right Alt key with F1-F12 to switch to tty13-tty24, if you have
> them defined, whereas the left Alt key used in conjunction with
> F1-F12 is used to switch to consoles tty1-tty12.  This was the
> default behavior in Lenny, but not in Squeeze.

Yet none of this will fix his reboot issue, if indeed it's caused by the
onboard 8042, which I suspect.  I think the kernel parm mentioned by
Paul is Darren's best bet at this point at getting the Model M working
properly.

My guess is that Darren's Sandy Bridge motherboard simply doesn't like
that old KB with the inbuilt 8042, and the way the chip handles A20
switching.  To prove this theory Darren needs to try a modern KB.  If
that doesn't fix it, then we dive into the Intel graphics driver, mobo
BIOS settings, possible bad motherboard, etc.

--
Stan