Re: something regarding printer/printing

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 13:26:25 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 1:49 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> The first I would try is adding two new printer instances from CUPS web
>> interface, that is, "http://localhost:631"; (forget hplip by now) and

> I used to choke when using CUPS,
> A username and password are being requested by http://localhost:631. The
> site says: "CUPS"
>
> I tried my laptop's root/user password, all failed.

You should use the root's username and password unless you have setup
sudo instead, in such case you will have to provide your user's
credentials.

> it's a network printer, I don't have the administration password, and
> also a bit lazy/sorry to trouble the administrator.

CUPS is requesting authorization from your own box not from external
sources.

> does it need administrator's password here? to add a printer.

Yes, adding a printer is a root's task :-)

Unless you have told CUPS to do it otherwise it will require
administrative credentials.

> I can do well in adding printer from setting--printing --> find network
> printer by entering the IP.
>
> Well, good news is that it works, after removal and re-install.

(...)

Oh. Good :-)

Greetings,

--