Re: web server migration

On 12/11/2011 03:47 AM, bruno.debian@cyberoso.com wrote:

I would first move to some virtualisation in order to make the next
migration easier (I am currently using OpenVz containers with Proxmox
ditro, but there are many others out there)

thats something i didnt think of, thanks, ill look at it.

So you could create a virtual machine on your new server, and rsync the
old one directly in the virtual machine. You'll have to change a couple
of things (there have already been many threads about that in this list)

I would not do both upgrade to squeeze and migration at the same time,
as you would double the risks of getting into problems.
You could make clones of this virtual machine to test an upgrade to
squeeze of your production environment afterwards.

good thought, ive really got too much time invested in the 3 sites to muck things up! thanks.

If you stick to pure hardware server, rsync works great as well (there
have already been many threads about that in this list)

My 2 cents,

Bruno