Re: web server migration

Le Sat, 10 Dec 2011 18:46:56 -0500,
steve reilly <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> a écrit :

> On 12/10/2011 05:38 PM, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> > More information needed, please.  You said that your desktop
> > machine is running lenny.
>
> yes, it is.
> >
> > I'll start with a few questions and let other folks add theirs....
> >
> > 1. Do you want to try squeeze on the poweredge or stay with lenny?
> > Is the hardware in the server supported in lenny or do you have to
> > use squeeze?
> yes, would be installing latest stable, squeeze.  as far as I can
> tell, I had no problems with hardware, i installed squeeze on one of
> the drives when i got it couple weeks ago.  only thing that did not
> work was usb ports.  i figured thatd be easy enough to fix, but i
> dont need them anyway. raid is embedded and run at hardware level so
> no drivers needed for that.  pretty sure on that anyway.
>
> > 2. Are you going to use raid on the disks?  (remember you are using
> > about 4gb now).
> with 2 73 gb drives installed the raid config (perc3) gives me 2
> options when i create a container, raid zero, which i dont want, or
> raid one (mirrored) so thats what i planned on using.  plan on
> getting a 3rd drive down the road for hot spare. once i get up and
> running im assuming the raid config has option for that.
>
> > 3. What else is the server going to do for you, now and in the
> > future?
> strictly webserver.
>
> > 4. What web server are you using and what version is it?  What are
> > you planning to use on the new machine?
> currently apache2- 2.2.9, sticking with apache on new one, looks like
> 2.2.16 on squeeze
>
> > 5. What provisions are you making for backups?
> automated daily wordpress, database zip backups to another machine in
> the house, plus the raid one (main reason i got the new server was so
> i had some sort of redundancy) guess i could have just got a raid
> card, but this poweredge was wicked cheap.  got from a government
> contractor friend.
>
> thanks
>
> steve

I would first move to some virtualisation in order to make the next
migration easier (I am currently using OpenVz containers with Proxmox
ditro, but there are many others out there)

So you could create a virtual machine on your new server, and rsync the
old one directly in the virtual machine. You'll have to change a couple
of things (there have already been many threads about that in this list)

I would not do both upgrade to squeeze and migration at the same time,
as you would double the risks of getting into problems.
You could make clones of this virtual machine to test an upgrade to
squeeze of your production environment afterwards.

If you stick to pure hardware server, rsync works great as well (there
have already been many threads about that in this list)

My 2 cents,

Bruno