Re: SGE (grid-engine-*) versus open grid scheduler

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 12:08:55 -0400, francis picabia wrote:

> Maybe this isn't the best list to discuss grid cluster software, but
> I'll see...

JFYI, there is also:

Thank you for the response.

Very good to see this mailing list.
I saw a reference at one package site to that, but thought
perhaps it was for internal use only.  It didn't appear on a list
of Debian mailing lists I saw.  I'll join.

> Oracle has discontinued the development of the open source Sun Grid
> Engine.

Was it...?

http://blogs.oracle.com/templedf/entry/oracle_grid_engine_changes_for

Oh, shame on you, Oracle >:-/

Oracle is dumping everything open source which Sun had set up.
Solaris users are fleeing.  We are paying about $1000/server
for software maintenance, necessary to get patches.  Oracle
only wants a few fortune 500 customers and government
as customers.

> It is currently distributed in Debian 6 in packages beginning
> with grid-engine-*

Here it is:

http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gridengine.html

> The open source fork continues as Open Grid Scheduler.
>
> http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/
>
> I can't tell what grid-engine-* packages are using for upstream as it
> refers to SGE, something both upstream sources have in common for
> package and current releases.

Mmm, Oracle's announcement was made on December 23th, 2010, that's almost
a year ago. And Open Grid Scheduler release version matches with Debian's
one (6.2u5). Moreover, getting into Debian gridengine sources, the copyright
points to Sun's license, so it makes sense to think that Debian is using
Open Grid Scheduler's sources :-?

I thought I saw that both Open Grid and SGE had releases of 6.2u5.
That is what caused me to wonder.   The Debian package homepage
links to Oracle as the upstream, and files like  /usr/share/doc/gridengine-common/copyright
indicate Sun Microsystems is the upstream.  But perhaps these
things are out of date.  I'll soon found out hopefully.