Re: dial-up modem usage

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 08:54:39PM -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> > On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 19:16:12 -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> >
> > > I'm setting up a Debian system for a friend, and he uses a dial-up
> > > modem.  It's been many years since I dealt with a modem, so I could use
> > > a few tips.
> > >
> Thanks for the tips, everyone.  But it seems I have forgotten more about
> modems than I realized.
>
> I'm now using gnome-ppp as a dialer, which uses wvdial as a backend (I
> think).  I'm also using martian-modem, which provides a driver for my
> Agere WinModem.  Besides that, I'm testing with an external modem (usb
> connection).
>
> I can get gnome-ppp to recognize both modems.  But when I attempt to
> dial, I don't hear a dialtone or any dialing.  Almost immediately the
> application says something like "sending password", and it hangs there.
> Of course it's going to hang -- it has not connected yet.
>
> So I'm thinking maybe I need some kind of initialization string for the
> modem.  Are they specific to a certain model of modem?  Is there
> something else I should be trying?

My problem was that I hadn't specified a username and password -- only a
phone number.  For some reason, that caused dialing to fail, jumping
right to sending the (non-existent) username and password.

The other problem was gnome-ppp.  It didn't hold its settings.
Sometimes I needed to logout and/or reboot in order to change the
account settings.  Switching to wvdial eliminated that variable.

Also, I stuck with the Agere WinModem and used martian-modem.  That
seemed to work just fine.  If it was my computer, I would have switched
to a hardware modem.  But this was a freebie installation of Debian on a
friend's crashed Windows machine.

I set up a launcher in the Gnome panel to edit the wvdial settings in
gedit (phone number, etc.), and another launcher to run wvdial in a
terminal.

-Rob